10 Tips To Help You Find A Paying Guest Accommodation
Paying Guest or PG, as we know it, is increasingly becoming popular among young professionals (18-26 years), especially in metros. The concept of PG is not new but there is a greater appreciation of this concept now. PG is a preferred option among young people who move away from their native place either for higher studies or for an employment opportunity. In a new city, finding the right PG accommodation can be challenging at times.
Here are some tips to help you make your search convenient:
- It is important to fix two things before starting your PG search; first, your budget and second, shortlist of a few preferred areas. If you fix these properly the rest of the search will be far easier. However, if these are loosely defined you will be pulled in different direction (basis the opinion of others).
- Once the budget and area is defined, start your PG accommodation search using paying guest websites or an online real estate website. There are many popular real estate websites like Makaan.com, which allow specific search for PG
- You can either do a PG search or simply post your requirement on these sites. Your requirement is shared with people who have a matching accommodation. Within a few days of posting your requirement, you will start getting calls from owners / agents.
- It is advisable to go through an agent as he will be able to show multiple options. Do not engage more than two brokers / agents. Choose the agents that are active in the area of your choice. Agents will charge between 15 days to 30 days of rent as their fee.
- Websites will also give a good idea of the prevailing rates for PG accommodation (in the areas of your choice). Use this information to negotiate with the brokers or agents. PG accommodation normally ranges from Rs 4,000 to Rs 15,000 per month depending on the locality and services being offered.
- Go for a site visit only when your agent is promising to show multiple options. Do not waste your time to see just one site. It may not be worth the effort.
- Check out if public transportation is easily available nearby.
- Also check if there is a provision of a tiffin system or meals are provided by PG owner.
- If it is a shared accommodation, try and get the contact number and communicate with prospective room mates to get more insight. There could be restrictions in terms of movements at night, getting friends over etc so it is better to have prior information.
Use the above tips and hopefully it will benefit you in your PG accommodation search.