What Is The Format Of A Rent Agreement
A rent agreement is a legal document which lays out the pre-discussed terms and conditions under which the rented property is leased out that is to be followed between the landlord and the tenant. In India, 11 month lease period is preferred by most landlords while entering into property rentals.
Here is the format of lease agreement used in India-
This Rent Agreement is made on this __________ (date of rent agreement) by ________________ (name of the landlord) S/o _______________ (father’s name of the landlord), Add: ___________________________________________________ (residential address of the landlord). Herein after called the Lessor / Owner, Party Of the first part
_____________________________ (Name of the proposed company), through its proposed director __________ (name of the director) called Lessee/Tenant, Party of the Second Part
That the expression of the term , Lessor/Owner and the Lessee/Tenant Shall mean and include their legal heirs successors , assigns , representative etc. Whereas the Lessor /Owner is the owner and in possession of the property No: ______________
_________________________________________________________________________________ (registered address of the company) and has agreed to let out the one office Room, one Toilet & Bathroom Set on said property, to the Lessee/Tenant and the Lessee/Tenant has agreed to take the same on rent of Rs. ______/- (In words) per month.
NOW THIS RENT AGREEMENT WITNESSETH AS UNDER:-
- That the Tenant/Lessee shall pay as the monthly rent of RS. _________/- (In words) per month, excluding electricity and water charge.
- That the Tenant /Lessee shall not sub–let any part of the above said demised premised premises to anyone else under any circumstances without the consent of Owner.
- That the Tenant / Lessee shall abide by all the bye - laws , rules and regulation, of the local authorities in respect of the demised premises and shall not do any illegal activities in the said demised premises.
- That this Lease is granted for a period of Eleven (11) months only commencing from ___________ (date of rent commencing from) and this lease can be extended further by both the parties with their mutual consent on the basis of prevailing rental value in the market .
- That the Lessee shall pay Electricity & Water charge as per the proportionate consumption of the meter to the Lessor /Owner.
- That the Tenant/Lessee shall not be entitled to make structure in the rented premises except the installation of temporary decoration, wooden partition/ cabin, air – conditioners etc. without the prior consent of the owner.
- That the Tenant/lessee can neither make addition/alteration in the said premises without the written consent of the owner, nor the lessee can sublet part or entire premises to any person(s)/firm(s)/company(s).
- That the Tenant/Lessee shall permit the Lessor/Owner or his Authorized agent to enter in to the said tenanted premises for inspection/general checking or to carry out the repair work, at any reasonable time.
- That the Tenant/Lessee shall keep the said premises in clean & hygienic condition and shall not do or causes to be done any act which may be a nuisance to other.
- That the Tenant/Lessees shall carry on all day to day minor repairs at his/her own cost.
- That this Agreement may be terminated before the expiry of this tenancy period by serving One month prior notice by either party for this intention .
- That the Lessee shall use the above said premises for Official Purpose Only.
- That the Lessee/Tenant Shall not store/Keep any offensive, dangerous, explosive or highly Inflammable articles in the said premises and shall not use the same for any unlawful activities .
- That the Lessee shall pay the one month’s advance rent to the Lessor the same shall be adjusted in monthly rent.
- That both the parties have read over and understood all the contents of this agreement and have signed the same without any force or pressure from any side.
In WITNESS WHEREOF the lessor/Owner and the Tenant / Lessee have hereunto subscribed their hand at ______ (place) on this the _____________ (date of rent agreement) year first above Mentioned in presents of the following Witnesses
___________ (name of the landlord) _________________ (name of the proposed Company)
You can change the terms and conditions according to your understanding with the tenant/landlord. This rent agreement is not legally binding unless registered. The notarised agreement does not mean it is registered. Tenants need to pay stamp duty and registry charges on the agreement.