How Polystyrene Homes Can Push Affordable Housing
The Indian government is working hard towards its ambitious project, Housing For All By 2022. This would require a development of millions of affordable homes across the country. These homes will have to be cost effective along with being constructed in short span of time without compromising on the quality. An answer to this is the technology called polystyrene homes, which are ecologically friendly and can control various climatic conditions better than houses made of concrete.
So, what is polystyrene? Remember the white material (also known as thermocol) which is used in packaging, even for school project and is light as feather? Yes, this feather-light material can be used to construct homes. Though this technology is new to India, it has been used by various countries across the globe and results are positive.
Building with polystyrene blocks is as simple and quick as building a miniature building using toy blocks. These homes can withstand extreme weather conditions and the temperature inside remains constant. Hence, homes made using this technology are perfect for places with extremely high or even low temperatures.
Interestingly, a home constructed using traditional brick and mortar or concrete method can cost twice as much as a home constructed using polystyrene blocks. These blocks are easier to move and the labour costs are also low. Moreover, it takes less time to build a polystyrene home. Two definite positives for affordable housing, which needs such cost-effective and time-saving construction technologies.
Here's how a polystyrene home is constructed:
- This home would need panels made from light cellular plastic foam (polystyrene),
- The foam (polystyrene) consists of mini spherical particles containing about 98 per cent air
- This polystyrene foam is inserted between two blocks of steel wire net
- Then these are joined together to form a solid structure
- And at last, covered with cement to support and toughen the walls
Following are the advantages of the polystyrene homes
- It is cheap, which makes it an appropriate substitute to usual brick and concrete homes
- It is strong and tough, which makes it durable
- Construction is a clean and environment-friendly method
- Electrical wiring and plumbing pipes can be easily installed
- Fire-resistant construction
- Energy-efficient construction, acts as insulation and maintains temperature inside in extreme conditions
- Any activity in the building ensures lower sound secretion
- High wind resistance
- The construction also keeps insects away
- Reduce the risk of leakages
- The technology confirms long-life expectancy
- Can be easily recycled
- Due to its unusual and cheap method, it increases the sales value