Innovative Ways To Use Fairy Lights This Festive Season
Fairy lights are rightly called so, for they cast a magical aura wherever placed. Every year we end up buying more of these fairy lights, only to realise later that we already own a big box of them. Used to decorate the outside of houses, especially balcony railings or the entire house in case of an independent one, these are a must- have in every house during festivals. If you are still left with a big cache of these fairy lights you can use them innovatively to beautify the inside of your house as well.
Mirror on the wall
Since it is the festive season, use of fairy lights in your house is never enough. Put these fairy lights around the mirrors. The light will reflect off the mirrors and will brighten the whole room.
DIY bottle lamps
Empty wine bottles can be put to use to make bottle lamps. Clean and dry them well and stuff long strings of fairy lights inside the bottle. Plug the light in and get your lamp for the living room. You can also use mason jars with lids for this. To add to the festive vibe, you can even paint the bottles or jars or decorate them with pearls and glitter.
Put some nails or hooks on a wall and run across a fairy light through those pegs. Use some clothesline pegs to hang some of your favorite Polaroid collection on this fairy light string.
Wrap around a fairy light string on your bedposts but ensure that it stays away from your bedspread as the bulbs might create a burn spot on the fabric.
Make a fun lantern string
Use old but printed paper cups and string them through a fairy light. Hang this colorful and shiny lantern string in the kids’ room to give it a festive feel.
(Flickr/ray and love photography)
Hang some fairy light strings on the curtain rods to jazz up your windows. You can also use these lights to decorate the entrance to your puja room or the mandir itself.
DIY chandelier for kids room
Use your kids’ old hula hoop and turn it into a fun chandelier by wrapping up some fairy lights around it. Hang it up and see the room light up along with your kid’s face.
Use it on the staircase
If you happen to stay in a duplex, you can decorate the banister of the stairs with the fairy light. You can also stick them under the stairs using thin duct tape. Light them up at night and see your boring stairs become the centerpiece of the room.
Decorate Your Home with Fairy Lights
The holiday season might be long gone or nowhere around the corner, but that shouldn't come between you and your fairy lights! Romantic, playful, magical, fancy or simple - fairy lights are whatever you make them, whatever makes you happy. And happiness never goes out of season.
- Moreover, the LED string lights or twinkle lights are extremely energy efficient and lead to minimum amount of heat loss. Therefore, without having to pay an exorbitant electricity bill at the end of each month, you can add style, ambience, and lots of sparkling energy to your home with these easy DIY ideas:
- Glue one or more strings of fairy lights on your bed's headboard. You may want to consider using waste materials like egg crates, paper, cardboards, etc., to make butterflies, flowers or smileys. The tiny light bulbs can then be glued on to these to create a magical effect!
- Give your curtains a new look by using a little creativity and some twinkle lights. Just glue the fairy lights on the reverse side of your curtains. Translucent or light coloured curtains are preferable in order to ensure that you have the perfect lit-up curtains for an enchanting evening.
- Summer evenings are incomplete without that end of the day repose in the garden. Wrap the tree trunks or swing-set stands in uniform spirals of fairy lights and sit back to enjoy a wonderful summer evening in your garden.
- Fairy lights can be used to modify antique or discarded items like birdcages/houses, empty wine bottles, broken umbrellas and hoops into decorative installations for your home. Empty wine bottles or bird cages can be filled with fairy lights and lit up to create a brilliant effect. Broken umbrellas and hoops can be utilised along with string lights to create an amazing chandelier.
So get your fairy lights and create your own fairytale home today!