📲
Will 102-Km Elevated Corridor In Bengaluru Fix Traffic Woes?

Will 102-Km Elevated Corridor In Bengaluru Fix Traffic Woes?

Will 102-Km Elevated Corridor In Bengaluru Fix Traffic Woes?
(Shutterstock)

The Karnataka government on November 29 gave its approval to construct a 102-kilometre elevated corridor project in Bengaluru. The project, which was conceptualised 12 years ago, once constructed will ensure smoother traffic across north-south, east-west and in the central parts of the city. While the development work were scheduled to start in January but so far only bids have been called by the Karnataka Road Development Corporation Limited (KRDCL). The project is likely to be completed by 2025.

However, the citizens and the government are at loggerheads over the construction of the project as it is being said that the elevated corridor will further deepen the traffic woes in the city and would do a large scale ecological damage. The Environmental Impact Assessment report shows the project alignment will cut through buffer zones of at least 10 lakes and storm water drains in the city, including  Varthur Lake, Agara Lake, Ulsoor Lake, Hebbal Lake and KR Puram Lake. Apart from this, over 3,700 trees could be affected causing loss of tree cover. The project has got the environmental clearance on March 2 and is awaiting the Cabinet's approval. 

The project will be developed at a cost of Rs 25,495 crore of which Rs 15,299 crore will be used to construct the project while remaining will fund the land acquisition. The project will be constructed on a Public-Private Partnership mode, in which the state government will contribute 40 per cent of the total cost, the remaining 60 per cent will be spent by the developer. The government plans to acquire 92-acre land for the 11-metre high elevated corridor, including 17-acres land of individual owners. While six-lanes corridor will be constructed on government-owned land, two lanes will be developed on private land.

The project will have seven corridors in different parts of the city. This will include three major corridors:

  • The north-south corridor 1 spanning 26.8 km from the Hebbal Flyover to Central Silk Board
  • The east-west corridor 1 spanning 20.9 km from KR Puram to Gorguntepalaya
  • The east-west corridor 2 spanning 29.4 km from Varthur Kodi to Jnanabharthi Junction

And, other corridors:

  • East-west connecting corridors 2 spanning 4.4 km, from St John’s Hospital Junction to Agara on Outer Ring Road; connecting corridors 2 from Ulsoor to East-west corridor 2 at D’souza Circle; connecting corridors 3 spanning 2.8 km from east-west corridor 1 at Wheeler’s Road Jn to Kalyan Nagar on Outer Ring Road.
  • An additional corridor from Ramamurthynagar (Ring road) to ITPL stretch.

According to a report, as many as one crore trips per day are made by vehicles across the city and this figure is expected to grow to two crores per day. The prime objective of this elevated corridor project is to alleviate these issues by providing an effective mode of transportation while ensuring lower carbon emission and maintenance cost of vehicles.

Last Updated: Thu Mar 14 2019

Similar articles

@@Fri Apr 05 2019 15:03:26