You Can Soon Use E-Wallet To Pay For Property Registration In Mumbai
The department of registration and stamps in Mumbai is all set to present a Diwali gift to the new homebuyers in the city. The department is expected to launch cashless payment options for property registration in Mumbai. According to media reports, the department is testing the new payment platform.
With this, the homebuyers in Mumbai will be able to pay for property registration using e-banking and e-wallets. The department will set up point of sales machines that will be integrated with a central software for payment of document handling charges.
At present, the Government Receipt Accounting System (GRAS) was being used to pay registration charges online, while the document handling charges of Rs 20 per page were being paid in cash.
"Though we had allowed people to pay these fees through net-banking, the number of pages in a document may rise or decline when it is brought for registration. Hence, we have decided to introduce POS machines to enable the electronic payment of these charges in the sub-registrar offices," a senior official at the department was quoted as saying in a DNA report.
The rising numbers
With this move, the department is expecting to do away with the long process of handling large amount of physical cash. There are over 5,000 sub-registrar offices across Maharashtra that witness a daily registration of over 7,000 documents with an average of 25 pages in each.
According to the DNA report, over 9.84 lakh documents were registered between April and August 2018 when compared to 9.08 lakh during the same period in 2017. This helped the department generate revenue of Rs 11,894 crore and Rs 9,729 crore, respectively.
The revenue collected during April-August 2018 has helped the department achieve nearly 50 per cent of its yearly targeted revenue of Rs 24,000 crore.
For those who are yet to register their property online, here’s a step-by-step guide for you:
1. Log on to: gras(dot)mahakosh(dot)gov(dot)in(hyphen)echallan(hyphen). Those who are unregistered users and want to pay for registration online can use this portal and select "Pay without Registration" option. Once selected, the user is redirected to Challan payment.
2. Fill in the details on this page and submit. For period, the system auto selects the current financial year, however, the user can pay taxes for the past and the next two financial years.
3. Once submitted, this is how the page would look. Click proceed and you will be redirected to the payment mode.
4. Before you move to the payment mode, a pop-up would ask you about saving the details (Press Ok) or want to re-enter details for challan (Press Cancel).
5. Once you are completely satisfied with the details submitted, click Ok and a Government Reference Number is generated. This number is generated to uniquely identify the payment to be made by the user and can be quoted for future enquiries. Save this 18 digit number with you.
6. Once you press Ok on the GRN pop-up, you are redirected to the bank's payment site.
7. Login with your bank details and make the required payment.
8. Once completed, the payment details will be released and you will be asked to confirm if the details are correct.
9. Click "Confirm" for the final challan.