Hot Markets: A Tour Of Delhi's Karol Bagh
Delhi is known to be a shoppers' paradise with many markets located at different pockets of the city. Catering to a wide audience, from those looking for products at affordable prices to those who indulge in luxury, commercial real estate in Delhi is as sought after as the residential real estate here. Of the many markets in Delhi, Karol Bagh is one such shopping centre of the city, which is known to cater to various needs of a shopper.
Karol Bagh is a residential-cum-commercial area located at central Delhi. One of the oldest localities in the city, some of the residential colonies in Karol Bagh are Beadon Puri, W.E.A, Bapa Nagar and Reghar Pura.
Shopping at Karol Bagh
Karol Bagh is a one stop shop for shopaholics. It has almost everything to offer ranging from clothes to accessories, electronics to mobile phones, and jewellery to bags. Interstingly , to cater to different shoppers, the market is divided into different streets and each street specialising in a particular product category.
Some of these micro markets in Karol Bagh are:
Ajmal Khan Road: There was a time when this street was famous for inexpensive readymade garments. Today, it is home to all big brands and international labels. But, the old charm of the weekly Monday market can still be witnessed here every week.
Arya Samaj Road: If you are a book lover and do not want to spend much on buying them, then Arya Samaj Road could be your one-stop destination. The street has a stock of second-hand books and that too, at a reasonable price.
Bank Street: Want to go jewellery shopping for wedding or any other special occasion, Bank Street is the destination you should be visiting. The street is full of gold and silver jewellery stores. These stores also deal in gems and stones. A great variety of artificial jewellery is also available here.
Ghaffar Market: A paradise for electronic geeks, you could find electronics ranging from an air-conditioner to a mobile phone and from a hair-dryer to a memory card for your handheld devices. Ghaffar market has plethora of shops which sells these products. Not only Indian but the market also sells a range of imported electronic products, too.
Tank Road: If you are not very brand conscious and want to buy a variety of clothes at an affordable price, then Tank Road is an ideal place for you. Speciality of this market is variety of denim available at wholesale rates. Interestingly, you could also get any brand's label attached to your jeans, too.
Interesting facts about Karol Bagh
- Post-Independence, Karol Bagh witnessed huge influx of refugees from Sindh and West Punjab (now in Pakistan); hence, the market is believed to be dominated by Punjabi shopkeepers.
- The market is also famous for restaurants serving lip-smacking food. Roshan Di Kulfi, is one of the oldest and most popular joint for Kulfi Falooda here. Other eating joints which are not only popular but are in business for decades include Om Corner Chhole Bhature and Sindhi Tikki Wala.
- For people who have bought or imported their phones from the US and the UK, Ghaffar market is the favourite hub for getting these phones unlocked at cheaper costs.
- The market can be reached by Delhi Metro, Karol Bagh Metro Station being the nearest. It is also connected to other parts of the city via government-run buses and other public transport.
- Karol Bagh is also home to the 50-year-old movie theatre, Liberty Cinema.