📲
Delhi To Have London-Like Metro-Rail Interlinked Corridor

Delhi To Have London-Like Metro-Rail Interlinked Corridor

Delhi To Have London-Like Metro-Rail Interlinked Corridor
(Shutterstock)

Soon, daily commuters of the Delhi Metro travelling to the National Capital Region (NCR) would be able to enjoy an easier commute as Prime Minister Narendra Modi on March 8 laid the foundation stone of the much-awaited Rapid Rail Transit System (RRTS) between Delhi and Meerut. 

The project was approved by the Centre last year after the Delhi government gave its go-ahead in January. The Delhi-Alwar route was also approved by the National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC) in December last year, the third network- Delhi to Panipat — is yet to be approved. Once completed, the networks would be linked to seven Delhi Metro stations, offering a multi-modal integrated transit system. The Sarai Kale Khan RRTS station will be developed into a mega transport hub where all the three routes will converge.

At present, such networks are operational in cities such as London, Paris, Hong Kong and Seoul. 

Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut

It would be an 82-km route that would connect a number of townships along the corridor. There would be 16 stations on the route with a majority of it being elevated. The RRTS will reduce the travelling time between Delhi and Meerut to 55 minutes. The air-conditioned trains are designed to travel at a speed of 180km per hour and will be available at a frequency of 5-10 minutes. 

Route: Sarai Kale Khan-New Ashok Nagar-Anand Vihar-Sahibabad-Ghaziabad-Guldhar-Duhai-Murad Nagar-Modi Nagar South-Modi Nagar North-Meerut South-Partapur-Rithani-Shatabdi Nagar- Bramhapuri- Meerut Central- Bhaisali- Begumpul-MES Colony-Daurli-Meerut North-Modipuram

The Phase-II corridors include:

*Delhi-Faridabad-Ballabgarh-Palwal

*Ghaziabad-Khurja

*Delhi-Bahadurgarh-Rohtak

*Ghaziabad-Hapur

*Delhi-Shahadra-Baraut

The timeline and the cost

The pre-construction work on the Delhi-Meerut corridor has been already started while the actual work will begin in the second half of 2019 and would be completed by 2024. While the total project cost has been pegged at Rs 1 lakh crore, the total estimated daily ridership is 20 lakh, once all the three corridors get operational. NCRTC is also in talks to obtain a loan to the tune of 60 per cent. of the project cost. Remaining 40 per cent will be borne by the Centre and the UP and the Delhi government.

Delhi-Alwar: As the NCRTC has approved the detailed project report for the route, the connectivity to existing industrial hubs will become smoother as the project gets operational. This corridor would pass through Manesar, Bawal and Neemrana. The route when operational would also help commuters to travel to Gurgaon at a speed faster than that of the Metro. It would be a 180-km route with 19 stations. Of the total length, 142 km will be elevated while 38 km will be underground. The corridor will be constructed in three phases. In the first stage- Delhi-Gurgaon-SNB will be built, in second stage, it will be extended to Sotanala and in the third stage, it will be extended to Alwar. 

Route: Kashmere Gate ISBT- New Delhi- Sarai Kale Khan- INA- Dhaula Kuan, Mahipalpur, Cyber City, IFFCO Chowk, Kherki Dhaula, Manesar, Panchgaon, Dharuhera, BTK, MBIR, Rewari, Bawal- SNB- Sotanala- Alwar

Delhi-Sonipat-Panipat

It would be a 111-km route with 12 stations. Most of the stretch will be elevated and only two km will be built underground. This line would run in the north-west direction from Delhi. The total time taken on this stretch would be 74 minutes.

Route: Kashmere Gate-Mukarba Chowk-Narela-Kundli Border- KMP Expressway-Rajeev Gandhi Education City-Murthal-Gannaur Depot-Gannaur-Samalkha-Panipat City-IOCL Panipat

Linking with the Delhi Metro

The NCRTC is now planning to connect the Phase-1 high-speed train network with the existing Delhi Metro stations. These include Kashmere Gate, Jor Bagh, Indraprastha, New Ashok Nagar, Anand Vihar, Munirka, Sarai Kale Khan, Aerocity and Burari Extension. This would connect all the seven lines of the Delhi Metro – Red, Yellow, Blue, Violet, Magenta, Pink and the upcoming Phase-IV routes. The project will be undertaken by the NCRTC and the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation together.

 

Last Updated: Sat Mar 09 2019

Similar articles

@@Thu May 09 2019 11:20:13