Tips When Shifting Home With A Pet
Moving with pets could be a challenging task that involves lots of planning given that they get used to a place they live in and take time to get acquainted with a new place. Moreover, they find travelling equally uneasy, especially when the transit is long.
So, when planning to transit, know the mode of transport you are planning to take and plan accordingly. It is said that the precautions and steps you would take change based on the mode you are using to travel to the new home.
To ease the process, MakaaniQ gives you tips to safely move with your pets using different modes of transportation:
When travelling by car
Planning to transit in your own car? Find an appropriate seating arrangement for your pet. Crate, carriers and seat belts can keep the pets in control. Restrain the carrier so that doesn't bounce while the car is moving. Reserve the back seat of the car for your pets and ensure that pets do not move their heads outside the window. This can injure them or make them sick. Stop frequently to give your pet time to relax. When taking a break, make sure that you do not leave them alone in the car.
When travelling by air
When travelling by airplane get familiar with the terms and conditions of the airlines. Select the cabin for your pet and do ask the airlines for any additional charges.
Questions that you must ask the airlines:
- Can you take your pet in the cabin with you?
- What are the immunisation or health requirements?
- What kind container is accepted by the airlines?
- Are there any restrictions imposed by airlines on transporting the pet in the cargo hold?
Take following precautions in case your pet is flying in the cargo hold:
- Choose direct flights and try to travel on the same flight as your pet.
- On boarding the plane, notify the captain and flight attendant.
- Do not choose cargo holds for brachycephalic animals such as bulldogs, Pekingese dogs or Persian cats.
- Choose flights according to the season. Morning and evening flights are good for summers. While in winter afternoon flights is a good option.
- Ensure that the pet nails have been clipped.
- Do not feed them at least four to six hours of the trip.
- Affix a temporary travel ID along with your address and contact details.
- Carry the latest photograph of your pet.
When travelling by rail
Indian Railways allows you to transport your pets. You can take a reserved seat in the air-conditioned class coaches if you are travelling with a dog. Alternatively, the dogs will be transported along with the luggage in the brake van of the train. But your reservation in the air-conditioned class coaches is subjected to the will of your co-passengers. In a case of objection, the pet has to be moved to brake van. Moreover, it is the owner's responsibility to feed the pet in case the pet is in the brake van. This might become difficult for both the pet and the owner. However, there are few trains allowing owners to keep their dogs in the inbuilt coop of the guard's coach. The condition is that only one dog is allowed. Two dogs are allowed only if they belong to the same owner. For transporting your pet through railways, you must visit the cargo dispatch department and pay fees as per the weight of the dog.