How To Get Duplicate Copy Of Lost Sale Deed?

How To Get Duplicate Copy Of Lost Sale Deed?

How To Get Duplicate Copy Of Lost Sale Deed?

The sale deed is the biggest proof of your ownership over property, and that is why we are extremely careful about its safety. But, what if you somehow lose these documents? There is no reason to panic because you could get a duplicate copy of the document made, following certain simple steps.

However, it would be best to start the procedure to get a duplicate sale deed as soon as you realise you have lost the originals. Now, let us find out how to get your duplicate sale deed.

Before we start to explain further, it is important to note here that attempts would first be made to find the lost document. The two steps in that direction are of lodging an FIR with the police and advertising about the sale deed loss in national dailies. You cannot directly approach the sub-registrar to issue you a duplicate copy of the document since he would need you to prove you have actually lost the papers and attempts to find them have yielded no result.

Lodge an FIR: It is true if you lose anything, first go to the police station in your area. Lodge an FIR (first information report) with the police there, giving all the details of the property. Following this, the police would generally try to trace the documents, if a robbery or theft is the reason for the loss. In case the police are not able to trace your lost sale deed, they would issue you a non-traceable certificate.  This is basically a statement by the police that they have not been able to track the document and would be duly signed by the inspector general. This is a document that would now be instrumental in getting you the duplicate sale deed.

Advertise in a national daily: You will now have to advertise any leading newspaper that you have lost your property documents. This is, in fact, another step towards finding the originals. The advertisement will have all the details of the said property. The idea behind the advertisement is to spread the word about the loss so that the general public can restore the papers to their owner if they have any knowledge about the papers and have by any chance found them. This advertisement is another proof that the owner has lost the document. If you do not receive any information about the loss even after advertising, this is the time to approach the sub-registrar.

Prepare an affidavit: Now is the time to prepare an affidavit. On a plain paper, you have to write to the sub-registrar where the property was registered, informing them about the missing sale deed and all the other particulars related to the incident. You will also have to write an undertaking, stating everything mentioned in the affidavit is true. This affidavit accompanies by one copy each of the FIR, the non-traceable certificate and the newspaper advertisement, will then will have to be registered at a public notary.

Go to the sub-registrar’s office: The applicant should appear before the sub-registrar and submit these documents. After examining the documents, the sub-registrar’s office would accept your application for a duplicate copy of a sale deed. You will also have to pay a nominal fee along with the application which differs from place to place. It might take between 15-30 days for you to receive the duplicate copy.

Also read: What If Your Bank Loses Your Sale Deed?

Last Updated: Thu Aug 18 2022

Similar articles

@@Tue Feb 15 2022 16:49:29